Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Things I've Learned from Twitter and Tumblr (once I stopped being too scared to use them)

This is icon for social networking website. Th...Image via Wikipedia

Well, it's really only one thing. This is the internet, and there are all kinds of people here. The good news is that because it's only the internet, we can ignore the less savory characters just by not clicking a 'follow' or 'reply' button.

I know that this doesn't hold much weight coming from a stooge such as myself with just over one hundred followers, but I think it's something that everyone has run into on most social networking sites. You're new to the game, so you follow/add back everyone who follows/adds you. Shortly after, you learn that some of them are horrifically annoying, and begin to dread reading the updates you get. You won't unfollow them for fear of losing them as a follower, but you just can't stand going on the networking site anymore because you associate it with negative emotions and these people in general. Pretty soon you just stop entirely, and all of the efforts you spent trying to promote your book/album/other project seem wasted. It's a vicious circle, and it happens every time. I haven't been turned off of Twitter yet, but I certainly know that following annoying people was what turned me off of Tumblr for months.

Sometimes it seems like it just isn't worth it, doesn't it?

I know it's such an incredibly simple thing, but some people just aren't worth having as followers, especially if they'll ditch you the second you unfollow them. In my opinion, such a person misses the point of Twitter and Tumblr entirely, which is to network. Because networking is the main objective, I'm certainly not against following back. I just believe that if someone is so mean or annoying that they make the entire experience displeasing, you can afford to lose them as a follower by unfollowing them first.

I know seasoned Tweeters and Tumblr addicts have already figured this out on their own, but I'm a beginner here. I'm a little slow, I know. I only made my Twitter account a few months ago, and only actually started using it about two weeks ago. I almost quit entirely because of this one incredibly annoying person who, yes, actually managed to irritate me that much without ever even speaking to me. They were just...that sort of person. You know, the kind who thinks they're the only person who matters in the universe. I'm surprised I only encountered one.

Social networking sites are plagued by this sort of beast, a monster that they themselves created. It's hard for someone not to feel like they're the center of the universe when they log onto a virtual universe where they literally are the center. If you were an impressionable teenager who saw something every day that reminded you of how many people were interested in your life, you would probably become fairly self-centered as well.

The best thing for you to do is break off your ties with these people, a sort of blatant statement of how you are at least one person in the world who isn't interested in their lives. It's sort of funny. Preteens go nuts if that happens, and the best part is that you don't even have to acknowledge it.

The main thing to remember is that it's just socializing on the internet. It's only fun if you let it be fun, and the main way to do that is by surrounding yourself with people you're genuinely interested in hearing from. If you change your mind about these people, feel free to unfollow them. One less follower isn't going to hurt you, but not taking advantage of social networking to market your book and network with other writers and publishers will.

Besides, you can always do what a lot of people do and unfollow all the people you don't want once you get up to a number you feel comfortable with. The ones who don't really care about your tweets/posts are the ones who will leave, and you'll be left with your actual following (and quite a few new friends, as well).

I'm sorry if you kinda felt this post was a bit beneath you...most indie authors are very comfortable with Social Networking and have it all figured out wonderfully, which is a big reason why their books do so well. The rest of us are, like me, a bit nervous about actually making a name for ourselves. Hell, why do you think I use a pen name other than the fact that I have a really stupid first name? I'm scared to death of fame, and I'm shy even on the internet. I would probably hide behind an alias even if I had the most beautiful name in the world.

This is sort of why I created this blog. There must be at the very least a million creatives out there who have shunned Social Networking. I know I definitely did before I decided to go indie and heard constantly that you at least have to have an author blog and a Twitter if you're going to be independent. It's been a great learning experience for me, and it's helped me get comfortable with being more sociable. Anyone out there reading who doesn't at least have a Twitter or author blog, I highly recommend it.

Especially if you've avoided it because you feared being surrounded by intimidating/irritating people (especially the more shy among you), which a lot of people worry is the case with social networking. Remember that you can choose who you network with, and you don't have to associate yourself with jerks if you don't want to. Logging on can even be a therapeutic part of your day, and a great way to unwind while taking a break from writing.

Happy socializing! And I promise, it'll get more comfortable as you go along.

**I suppose I should apologize for how often I've been updating lately. I know it has to seriously annoy feed subscribers. I don't mean to pollute your inbox, friends! D:  God, I hope it doesn't sent out another e-mail every time you edit your blog post. That would really suck. If it just did that to you, please let me know? I'm not good with RSS. Or anything computer related for that matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment