Sunday, September 4, 2011

Never Get too Attached to the Magic Man

A Keeshond-Sibirian Husky puppyImage via Wikipedia
 While my sporadicly available internet connection insists upon making maintaining a blog extremely difficult, I have found myself able to actually make a post.

I don't know how long this is going to last, so I'll try to make it quick. Today's post, or at least the first half of it, is about one of my uncountable favorite poems. It is by the sometimes adorable (but always only in my opinion) James Henry Leigh Hunt.

Jenny Kissed Me
by James Henry Leigh Hunt

Jenny kissed me when we met,
Jumping up from the chair she sat in.
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in.
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad;
Say that health and wealth have missed me;
Say I'm growing old, but add--
Jenny kissed me!

This poem in itself is adorable. It was a welcome change after pouring myself over The Wasteland.

And just to make sure that some random poem I enjoy that no one else might isn't the only thing on the blog today, I would like to bring to your attention my latest revelation---the wizard always dies.

I'm writing a fantasy, and it's so tempting to kill the wizard just because it's been imprinted into my brain that he always dies. Think about every single fantasy novel you've ever read that had a wise old wizard in it.

Did he die?

Thought so.

I'm trying to be original here, but it just feels like a fantasy series isn't complete without a dead wizard main character. I suppose it happens so often because it adds to the story's dilemma. Not only did the plot thicken, but now the younger, inexperienced, and often magically challenged other main characters are left all alone to deal with it. Now they're forced to grow up and learn to do things for themselves. The agony!

It does add drama, but I know how frustrating it is to feel like you're basically reading the same story with different authors and characters. I don't want to subject anyone to that just as much as I want to provide a valuable story that people will enjoy.

But if I do kill the wizard, I don't think I can resist the temptation to make his last words, “There is another Skywalker.”

George Lucas would take everything I own and more, however, so I more than likely won't. Also, I've noticed that the past two blog post pictures were of the same thing.

So I put up a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment