Saturday, July 30, 2011

What time is it?

A panorama of a research room taken at the New...Image via WikipediaRESEARCH TIME!

Yeah, I know...that probably disappointed some of you. I deeply and sincerely apologize to you guys.

Today is the day that I do everyone's least favorite part of novel writing. No, it isn't outlining (even though I'm one of those crazy authors who actually thinks that outlining the  novel is fun). It's research...boring, dragging research.

But it doesn't have to be that way! Oh, no siree Bob.

In fact, if doing research on the subject about which you're writing a novel bores you so much, it might be best to reconsider trying to write a novel about it in the first place. I've done that before. Half way into the research I was like, "So if looking up this story information bores me so much, how on Earth am I going to be able to stand making a plot out of it and actually writing on it for at least three hours a day for two months or more?"

So I shelved it...or just gave up on it entirely.

I don't think this research will be all that boring if I think about it relative to my story. I won't need to do much seeing as nearly all of the creatures and places in my story are complete fabrications of my own mind, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look up some things about Brooklyn and Jewish culture. If anything, it will help to add verisimilitude to the previously underdeveloped beginning.

Will I kill myself before this is over?

Hopefully  not! :D
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment