Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just Call me the Hyacinth Girl

T.S. Eliot photographed one Sunday afternoon i...Image via WikipediaOne of the most common criticisms my poetry receives is that I use too many metaphors and allusions. I like to keep it nice and vague, too, unless it's a special poem. The more other people can relate to the poem, the happier it makes me. I like people. People are awesome. LONG LIVE PEOPLE!....*ahem*....

But, anyway, on with how the above statement relates to today's post...

...if the idea is that ambiguity and metaphors make a poem bad, then take a gander at this one.

T.S. Eliot's Wasteland is my favorite poem, and arguably the best one ever written. For the first few years of the poem's existence, nobody had any idea what he was talking about.

Luckily, the page to which I've linked provides a handy little reading guide. It's a bit of a long read for a poem, but it is an epic after all. Reading this poem is like going on a journey, I love it!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment