Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh joy! It's a PLOT!

My "Seven Swords" Novel Writing NookImage by mshea via FlickrI've never been more excited in my entire life. I just sat down and, after finishing up the last of my character development, typed out the entire plot synopsis to my novel. AHHHH!

This has never happened before. Normally I start a novel with nothing but ideas and then leave it alone. If you think of the plot of a novel as getting from point A to point Z, my problem has definitely always been that I have points A, Z, G, O, M, Q, W, P, and R, but none of the others.

In other words, I only have a few disjointed, disconnected scenes of the novel and not the whole shebang. Well, I'm happy to say that the whole shebang is definitely mine in the case of this one. I've got all of the stops along the way planned out. Now all I have to do is outline the thing and then write it! EEEE!

I know it may seem like I'm overreacting, but this truly is a wonderful moment for me. It means I just might make it in this crazy business, after all. My problem before definitely was planning. Looking back at the way I had been writing before, it's no wonder I never got anywhere. I'm so glad I actually decided to pretty much develop the whole darn thing beforehand or I might have never gotten past my slump.

I have made this one rule for myself: The novel is everything. Even if it's five in the afternoon on a Saturday and you've been invited to go to a free pie party, you don't. You write. Because if you don't, that novel will never get finished. Never.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I really love your blog! I'm an ameteur writer 2 and I write (mainly) in the same genre! :) The ones that I write ALWAYS get weird! Especially the ones that take place in this other world. :)
    I have the entire plot for one of my stories down 2! But it's taking FOREVER to get to the part I really want to write about!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :D It's always nice to know people are reading xD

    And I know what you mean about waiting for the part you like in your story...it's like knowing about a good part in a book but having to read through the novel to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For real! And no problem! I love knowing people are reading my blog 2 :)

    ReplyDelete