Sunday, July 31, 2011

I picked up Fahrenheit 451 at the store the other day. I know...I should be kicking myself for not having read it yet in my lifetime...the first three pages alone were great. My boyfriend's mother let me borrow her copy of The Help, however, and I always try and finish borrowed books first so I can get them back to the person who lent them to me as quickly as possible.

At first I wasn't very excited. I could tell already that there weren't going to be any dragons or monsters in this novel, but I had wanted to read it because I had heard that it was just "one of those books."

You know what I mean when I say, "One of those books," right? Those special narratives that you just can't put down because they do something to you. They change a little bit of who you are, or make you a bit wiser about a part of yourself that you hadn't realized existed. Sometimes this is a good thing, and sometimes you become aware sad things, unjust things, things that may even be your fault. Either way, no one who has read "one of those books" ever forgets it.

Well, if you haven't guessed already, I might as well tell you that The Help is "one of those books."

I know, I know...most people already know this. Most people have already read it. But I'm a little slow on these things, seeing as I haven't gotten the chance to read half of those life changing books everyone should read just yet.

I haven't finished it yet (in fact, I just started it yesterday), but let me say that I have teared up on at least two occasions. Then again, I did cry in the middle of Mellow Mushroom when they showed those two old lesbians getting married after being in love for most of their lives. Seriously. Just...bawled right in the middle of the restaurant. Everyone thought I had lost it. They're wrong, seeing as I never had a single thing to lose.

But anyways, back on topic!

The Help is good. Read it. You will cry and become extremely angry at the same time, just like when you read To Kill a Mockingbird.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean by 'one of those books'! and don't feel bad, i haven't read it yet either :)

    ReplyDelete