Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Homework Only Exists in an Alternate Reality

I have a 250 page notebook that I'm using to write my novel and right now I'm just about to the dead center. That's like, what, around 125 pages?

Meh. Not too shabby for about a month's work. Once again I find myself struggling with finding the time to write, as well as the fact that, well, I should be using every shred of free and quiet time for schoolwork.

Yeah, it probably didn't take you too long to figure out that I'm not doing that. I just scratched out an outline to e-mail to my teacher (late) in about ten minutes, and now I'm trying to convince myself that I don't have an abstract due in History when I know I probably do.

As long as I keep saying it in my head it's bound to come true, right?

Meh. Maybe I'd better check, even though I know that checking will reveal that I do indeed have homework that I won't have ready to submit by midnight. 

I was diagnosed with OCD a little while back, and today I started taking Zoloft because apparently it will reduce the amount of troubling thoughts and repetitive tasks that I have on a daily basis. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't worried that it will affect my writing. What if all I suddenly want to do is write romance novels about glittering boys and rainbows set in a world where nothing ever goes wrong?

God knows we've got too many of those writers out there who don't want a single bad thing to happen to their characters. I swear, the moment I notice myself taking three pages to describe the dress a female protagonist is wearing and how she has her hair done I'm going to watch every horror film I've ever heard of and wage serious war on my serotonin pump. The last time I described clothes in my writing I said nothing more than, "it was white." I'd like to keep it that way.

It's amazingly hard to write when your slightly defective brain only has a specific set of conditions under which it doesn't go bonkers. Or, you know, when you have to wash your hands every time you rub your nose or close all the windows and doors and cover your vents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment